On Saturday, we chatted specifically about book blogging. Here’s what we decided:
What are the elements of a good book blog?
- Usually some sort of reviews or talking up books.
- Book discussion posts.
- A good mix of both!
- Promoting books and authors, but not too much. A good balance.
- Making book lists.
- Showing a love for books and wanting to introduce people to them.
- Having variety and originality. So important.
- Maybe an original feature.
- Writing more important than features though.
- Make your promoting sincere.
- Some giveaway perhaps, but not tons.
- You have to figure out what “it” is that your blog needs!
What about reviews?
- Just tell me if you liked the book! Did it suck? Did it rock?
- No spoilers… PLEASE!
- Short synopsis, if any at all.
- Do mini reviews for those books you didn’t like too much.
- Try to do them right after you read them.
What are your favorite tools you use for book blogging?
- UBB (Ultimate Book Blogger plugin)
- Editorial Calendar
- Google Calendar
- Coffee and M and M’s
- a notebook
- my Kindle
What’s the best part of book blogging?
- the people
- other bloggers
- the community
- readers that get me
- making friends
- talking about books
- (do you see a theme here?)
- bottom line: We are all awesome!
Advice to fellow bloggers?
- Be yourself!
- Be original.
- Be polite.
- Post what you love.
- TURN OFF CAPTCHA!
- Have fun.
- Take notes and jot ideas down.
- Be helpful.
- Get involved.
- But don’t try to do too much either.
- Take a break when you need it, but don’t announce all your breaks.
- Visit and comment on other blogs.
- Don’t stress. This is FUN!
Now…. get blogging!