Today we talked about what makes a blog page LOOK good! Here’s what was decided:
What You Should Have
- an About Me page
- review policy
- rating scale
- contact page
- currently reading
- search bar
- social media follow me icons
- subscribe options
- recent posts
What NOT to Have
- moving images
- countdown widgets
- too many ads
- automatically playing music
- pop ups
- too many images
- links/images for every community you belong to!
What should an About Me page include?
- your personality
- who are you?
- what do you do outside of reading?
- what are your hobbies?
- what’s your bloggy background?
- some pictures would be fun!
- what makes you unique?
- what type of books do you like to read?
What makes a blog look nice and readable?
- lots of white space
- light backgrounds
- no script fonts
- no colored type (or very little)
- breaks in text
Sidebars and Menus
- maybe just have one sidebar with minimal content
- three column layouts are out!
- maybe you can get away with no sidebars? Maybe have stuff in a footer?
- drop down menus are nice, but no more than 5 to 7 links
- only have one row of tabs
Size? Any bigger then 700 px for your blog content area is too hard to read. Headers should be small, not take up the whole front page and should be no bigger than 350px.
We talked about so much more than this! At the end, we sent links to our blogs for instant feedback. If you missed out on that and are genuinely interested in feedback on your blog’s look, layout, colors, fonts, images, sidebars, etc. we decided to try having a link here for additional feedback.
Please, if you leave a link, plan to click around to the other links here and not only GET feedback but GIVE it too. Yes? Nice, helpful, constructive feedback!
Updated to add: Give your feedback by commenting on the person’s most recent blog post… or find their Twitter and send them a tweet. Will that work for everyone?